Well, in case you were wondering. It was NOT my 64th birthday yesterday. It seems the gremlins at WordPress spontaneously sent out an old post (August 2012). I have no idea how or why this happened. I apologize for any confusion, but I was thrilled to receive all the birthday wishes and the online card. Thank you! It made my day.
With age comes wisdom and experience. Or so they say.
There’s a book titled 30 Things Every Woman Should Know How to Do by Age 30. Well, that ship sailed a long time ago, but it got me thinking about all of the valuable knowledge and bits of useless information I’ve acquired over the past 60+ years. So… I thought it would be fun to start a list of at least 60 Things We Should Know, Have or Have Done by the time we’ve reached the Magical Age of 60.
Let’s play together, shall we? I’ll list the first 50 Things and you add the rest in COMMENTS below. Here goes… in random order because that’s how my brain works these days ~
1. Own a passport
2. Say No. Mean it. Not feel guilty
3. Order your credit report and be able to understand it.
4. Get over it and move on
5. Change a flat tire
6. Do your own taxes (even if you choose not to)
7. Plunge a toilet or unclog a drain
8. Find the breaker box and flip the switch
9. Light a grill and cook something
10. Take yourself out to dinner or a movie – alone
11. Get around in a foreign country
12. Program and operate the TV (I’ll probably die still trying to learn this)
13. Mix a classic cocktail or even a modern one
14. Laugh at yourself
14. Take a compliment with ease and grace
15. Look good in a photo
16. Open a bottle of champagne
17. Read a map. Fold a map.
18. Hail a cab
19. Jump a car battery
20. Paint a room
21. Ask for a raise
22. Tell at least one really good joke well.
23. Beautifully wrap a present
24. Make small talk with just about anyone.
25. Know CPR
26. Ask for what you want
27. How to keep your information secure online
28. Where to find the best deals
30. Buy the right sized bra
31. Think for yourself
32. The art of self-defense
33. Do a breast self-exam
34. How to talk to your doctor
35. Have a retirement strategy
36. Book your own travel
37. When to throw in the towel
38. Put together at least one piece of “some assembly required” furniture
39. Make peace with your mother and/or your daughter
40. Who ya gonna call
41. Have an emergency fund (grandma had one in the cookie jar)
42. Say I Love You
43. Be able to converse in more than one language – even if it’s just basic greetings
44. Own a pair of kick-butt boots or slinky heels
45. Make a fire
46. Count your blessings
47. Know your numbers – blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, pulse etc.
48. Whip up a signature dish that’s not meatloaf or turkey
49. Own your own hammer, screwdriver, pliers and tape measure and know how to use them.
50. Say yes to opportunity when it comes knocking.
Okay – Now it’s YOUR turn. Whatcha got? Add one thing not on the list above that every woman should know, have or know how to do by the time she’s 60?
How many can you check off this list?